15 May 2012

kyrka...

Markaryd Kyrka


 I got to walk up above the sanctuary ceiling and the roof! Actually pitch black, couldn´t see a thing!

After many wooden ladders and small openings in ceilings I was treated with amazing views from up in the bell/clock tower of Markaryd Kyrka

I was able to see some amazing objects, all that remains from the original wooden Markaryd Kyrka that was built in the 12th century and burnt down when struck by lightening in the 1850s

Mig morfars morfars och mormors grave. My grandfather´s grandfather and grandmother´s grave. Family!

Peter Johan Svensson (mig morfars morfar)

Anna Ulrika Svensson (mig morfars mormor)


Day three. Today I visited Markaryd Kyrka where I climbed so many steep ladders up through small wooden openings up into the bell and clock tower and up to the top windows which provided amazing vistas of the surrounding church yard and area. I walked along rows upon rows of gravestones, many of them family members. I visited my grandfather´s grandfather and mother´s grave. I ate a soft-boiled egg, but wasn´t quite brave enough to try it with caviar. Overall it has been a lovely day. Skyping with my mother and considering going to sleep, I am excited to go visit more of Markaryd, the bookstore there, and other sights in the area tomorrow. (Sarah, I hope your first day of work went soo well!)