29 May 2012

rooftops and sunshine corners...

so, what have I been up to? More importantly what have you been up to? I thought I'd at least ask before I go into another long self-centered rambling of my own goings-on. so...

Two days ago I visited one of my cousins, Solveig, who lives a little southwest of Stockholm. I am convinced everyone in Sweden must have giant windows that provide stunning views of a lake, rolling hills of grass, and boulders. I have yet to be proven wrong. After visiting with her, her husband, and her daughters (all of whom are absolutely wonderful. I love this family like nothing else), Solveig and I drove over to Drottninghalm Slott ("Queen's Islet Palace") where the Swedish royal family lives. We walked around their giant backyard of a garden and ate a delicious, nutritious, wholly Swedish picnic on the rollings, grassy hills (see! Even the royal family has this view!) We talked about traveling and family--both our own and the Swedish royal family.

Yesterday I enjoyed a quiet day, reading books, drinking coffee, and then visiting my third-cousin's elementary school to see an exhibition of his third grade artwork. Woo! It brought back memories of my own elementary school experiences. Plus, it was interesting to compare swedish and american schools.

And today, I visited Fotografiska, the photography museum here in Stockholm, which was showing an interesting exhibition by Helena Blomqvist. Greg Schreck, you would love this photographer. I enjoyed lunch in their cafe which overlooks the city (yes, even the photography museem has giant windows and fabulous views of lakes and hills). I walked around Gamla Stan, sitting to enjoy a cup of coffee in a little cafe before meeting Solveig to take a ferry across to the Vasa Museum.

Now, if most of you are like myself, you have no idea why the Vasa Museum is worth visiting. I shall enlighten you. The Vasa was a Swedish warship built in the 1620s for the Swedish king for his current war. The Vasa was built to be one of the most impressive, intimidating, and striking warships of its time with exorbitant amounts of color, ornamentation, and canons. The Swedish king was a bit of a canon maniac. Unfortunately, however, this ship became famous not because of what it could do, but what it could not do. Being built disproportionately-too tall and not wide enough- it sank in the Stockholm harbor 20 minutes into its first voyage. 333 years after it sank, it was finally recovered and brought to the surface once more, and now sits in the most visited museum in Scandinavia.

After visiting the Vasa museum, Solveig brought me to an adorable, outdoor cafe with delectable tomato soup (seriously delicious!). This cafe is hidden away in a little corner of sunshine near the Vasa Museet and one would not know it is there if you didn't know where to go. We then wandered through Ostermalm, one of the more posh neighborhoods of Stockholm with its large homes and picturesque streets. We visited the CulturalHuset and then (and here comes the goooood part) we happened upon a main square in the shopping districts of Stockholm where Loreen was about to perform!

Now, again, if you have no idea why this moment is significant, let me enlighten you. Recently, Loreen, a Swede, won the EuroVision Song Contest with her song 'Euphoria', representing her country. The EuroVision Song Contest is like a continent-wide American Idol, but better, more nationalistic, and so fantastic. I was able to watch the contest on tv, and I saw Sweden win. Swedes have been talking of little else since that fateful/glorious day, last Saturday. Well, having flown back from Baku, where the concert was held, Loreen arrived in Sweden yesterday, and Stockholm today where she performed her song for all of us from a rooftop. So. much. fun.

Truly, America, Sweden has something we can (and should and must) embrace, and her name is Loreen (pronounced Lo-ray-awn).

Solveig, Lasse, and I will be going to visit the Stockholm City Hall tomorrow (Nobel Prize anyone?), and we are planning of searching out where I can buy Loreen's cd. I shall bring her back to the States with me because I am determined to spread her goodness. Love you all!